I am tired of being reasonable.
It is time for dreaming.
It is time for dreaming BIG.
Want to break out of your pond and go flying in trees?
Here are some ideas:
1. List 100 totally outrageous things that make your heart sing – things you haven’t done yet because you are being reasonable. Not 50, not even 99: 100. Because to get to 100 you have to really want to fly.
2. Don’t make this list in your head. Write it down. Bring it from abstract to concrete or it doesn’t count. If you can’t put it in words, you won’t be able to make the dream into reality.
3. Don’t discount anything. Write it all down. More than 100 is okay.
4. Engage friends or peers in this exercise with you – then do it for them. This will build the community you will need to make your wildest dreams come true.
5. Now make it into art: a Vision Board, a Vision Mask (to wear days you are feeling less than confidant), Vision cards to carry with you. (More ideas here). Often this exercise uncovers the elephant sitting beside you that you’ve been ignoring for years.
6. Don’t be afraid of looking silly. Silly is good because it gets you out of your head into laughter and joy and if that’s not a place you want to be then stop reading now!
7. Don’t give up. BIG dreams take more steps than being reasonable does. Sometimes you have to slog through marshes before you can rise above the pond and fly. Sometimes you get to fly and then it’s back to the marshes because you miscalculated.
8. Miscalculation is okay. Mis-steps are okay. They are sign posts that you are reaching for the wild blue yonder, not the next pond over.
9. Because you will change along the way, be sure to repeat ths exercise from #1 above on a regular basis.
10. Don’t be surprised if in repetition you notice you’re already in the sky and the next dream is the universe – just keep on going.
8 Ways to Think Outside the Box
1. Write down what you usually do
2. Brainstorm some things that you don’t usually do because (fill in the blank):
- I don’t spend money on advertising because PR is better
- I never go into any debt at all because who knows what tomorrow will bring
- I only spend money on my art supplies because (well, who needs an excuse for art supplies?)
3. Pick one of the above and journal about how your life will look if you did that something you don’t usually do. Be creative with how it would look. Give yourself a budget and write how you spent it realizing your dream. Write as if you are already there.
4. Identify the walls of your box (you will know them immediately – the minute you think outside your box, the voices that tell you that want you want is silly, impossible, etc., will start up. That is your box). You walls will show up while you’re working on #3 above.
5. Write down the walls of your box (all the voices and what they’re saying).
6. Light a candle, take a deep breath or two and burn the walls of your box. As you breathe out, bless the old ways that once helped you. As you breathe in say a prayer of gratitude for this opportunity to think bigger.
7. Pick one thing you could do that would move you closer to changing what you usually do.
8. Do it.
9. Repeat (okay, if you’ve read this blog at all before you know I’m big on giving something extra, so today you get 9 ways instead of 8).